Monday, March 06, 2017

JD Rhoades and Six Others

Fiction

This is How it Always Is by Laurie Frankel. Oranges and orange color all over the cover design. I approve.

Pachinko by Min Jin Lee. The dust cover says, "A sweeping saga of exceptional people in exile from a homelandthey neverer knew and caight in the indifferent arc of history." [I touch typed that last bit. I typed okay, mostly.]

Ice Chest by J.D. Rhoades. Rhoades just had his other thriller series bought by a successful production company. This has a big name celebrity woman having her diamond studded garment stolen by idiot crooks.

Transit by Rachel Cusk. Cusk? I wonder where that name is from. Let me check... Well, a cusk is a North Atlantic Cod. The name seems most popular in England. I'm not going to dig any deeper than that. Novel's plot: writer moves to London with her two young sons.

In Farleigh Field by Rhys Bowen. World War Two mystery with a love angle after a man falls to his death onto an English estate when his parachute fails.

Setting Free The Kites by Alex George. One of those childhood friendship novels. George lives in Missouri. I wonder where? Let me try and find out... Well, the dude's website says Columbia. I once stopped to eat at a Perkin's in Columbia. George also founded a literary festival; that was certainly nice of him.
Wait, I take that back. I may have stopped at a Denny's. This was twenty years ago when I was moving to Kansas and I stopped late at night.

The Dark Flood Rises by Margaret Drabble. Woman starts thinking about her mortality but still young enough to visit and drive around England for work and fun.

No comments: