Thursday, July 23, 2009

Two CDS by Two Different Bands

Music CDs

The other day I read an online comment by an author I follow, Anthony Neil Smith. His discussion on literary versus popular fiction touched on the similarity of Top 40 vs. "artist" music. Here we have two albums that fit that comparison. Wilco has a been a successful band but is more of a critics' darling than a stadium filler. Dave Matthews sells lots of records, gets airplay, and sells out concerts. I like a lot of Wilco's stuff but I do not consider feedback to be an instrument. Dave Matthews I couldn't give a rat's ass about - but I'll be fair and say I have not heard many songs.


Wilco (the album) by Wilco. This Wilco album is supposed to be more accessible; that means it probably doesn't have that artsy noise crap.

Big Whiskey and the Groogrux King by the Dave Matthews Band. Who was it from their band that died? Some horn player? All I know is that the fella was fairly young and it's a dang shame about that. (I'm not being sarcastic.)

No comments: