Thursday, May 28, 2015

More Fiction, Volume Two

Fiction

Off the Page by Jodi Picoult and Samantha van Leer. Is this the daughter-mom duo? Let me check...yes, it is. The dual bio on back says van Leer is in college. I wonder if they timed the release so that she could do promotion during summer. Then again, they'd be doing promotion well before hand to prep the release, right? I ask because I don't actually know.

Mapmaker's Children by Sarah McCoy.  This one sounds familiar.  Let me check...nope, I was mistaken. This is about hidden maps used for the Underground Railroad. Yes, as a child I did wonder how they built all those underground train tunnels, and where the engine smoke went to.

Patriot Threat by Steve Berry. I wonder where Berry lives. Let me check...the book does not say, I will not look it up. Ex-spy chases after stolen documents in Europe. 

Our Souls At Night by Kent Haruf. Haruf sets another novel in small town Eastern Colorado.  Haruf died in 2014. Did someone finish this for him?  Let me see...it doesn't say. I presume he finished the book before he died.

Scarlet Gospels by Clive Barker. Does this have one of those black-and-white author portraits that Barker's husband does? Let me see...Nope, it's a color photo and says "Courtesy of the author." Dang, I must have seen that B&W photo on an old book because there were lawsuit issues between those two in 2012.

What Burns Away by Melissa Falcon Field. I'm not sure what this is about. Sounds like some deeply depressed woman is self-destructive. I wonder where Field is from.  Let's see...Huh. She lives in Madison.  It also says she spends her summer in Maine. I went to Maine once.

NonFiction

The Wright Brothers by David McCullough.  I always mix up McCullough with James M. McPherson. McPherson is 3 years younger at 78-years-old. Where does McClullough live? I do not know, let's see...McCullough lives in an underwater lair under the coast of Jamaica and he directs his minions using a radio transmitter hidden within a buoy.

No comments: