Monday, July 13, 2015

New Items, Part One

Fiction

Ideal: the novel and the play by Ayn Rand. Unpublished novel is not unpublished. Page 90 says, "A white cross flamed over the pulpit, on a black wall."

The Star of Bird Hill by Naomi Jackson. I don't like the cover. Jackson was awarded the Maytag Fellowship at Iowa Writers' Workshop. She was also awarded a Fulbright Scholarship. Fulbright sounds a lot better than Maytag. Maytag makes me think of the TV commercials. I have not idea what this book is about, you can read it and tell me. Jackson went to Cape Town with the Fulbright. I wonder if she met Roger Smith or Deon Meyer.

The Silenced by Heather Graham. So, this is a series? Krewe of Hunters? IF the FBI had as many special units as the novels pretend they'd need twice as many Agents.

Twice in a Lifetime by Dorothy Garlock.  Garlock lives in Clear Lake, Iowa. I'm trying to remember where that town sits. I'll look it up...okay, it's off I-35 by Mason City. Dillinger robbed a bank in Mason City.

Dinner with Buddha by Roland Merullo. There's a fat guy joke in that title but I cannot find it.

Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi. A novel about manufacturing water jet cutters. Maybe. I don't know. The cover design makes this look like a computer thriller. The dustcover says it's a about drought and water battles in the future. I just read a random page and enjoyed what I saw.

The Man Who Stole My Life by Marian Keyes. Her name is familiar, let's see what else she wrote...a whole bunch of books, none that I remember seeing before. I must be thinking of the Sammy Keyes childrens' series.

No comments: