Tuesday, July 03, 2007

New and Nifty Novels

Fiction

High Noon by Nora Roberts. A hardcover by Roberts. Police hostage negotiator Phoebe has a new suitor and a personal threat from a mysterious assailant.

The Quickie by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge. Patterson continues his early retirement with another co-authored book. Lauren is out for revenge after her husband cheated on her. When Lauren does the same she witnesses a horrific crime but fears exposure if she comes forward as a witness.

Large Print

Something More by Janet Dailey. Luke McCallister and the descendant of a outlaw hunt for the outlaws buried gold in Wyoming.

Knots and Crosses by Ian Rankin. I got this novel as a freebie during the ALA Annual Convention in Washington D.C. after attending a breakfast by the publisher's parent corporation, Thomson. Thomson is a large company and was hosting several breakfasts to demo and promote their products.

I followed the directions on my invitation for the Sunday morning Large Print discussion at the Renaissance Hotel. I arrived a half hour late at Ballroom B and immediately scoped out the coffee. The tables were already filled and were formed in a big U, with the presenter running a database demonstration from inside the formation, so I found an empty chair along the wall.

After sitting down I figured I may as well get something to eat and walked over to the buffet. I ended up filling my plate and, spying an empty seat, took a spot at a table. As I was eating the presenter talks about business databases and the corporate information contained within.

"Okay," I figure, "the large print portion of the program must be next."

Ten minutes later the presenter finishes and the meeting ends. A salesman comes over to meet me and I find out I'm in the wrong ballroom. Thomson switched ballrooms at the last moment and with my late arrival no one was no host at the entryway to let me know. So, I walk to the room next door, scope out the coffee and have a seat. Afterwards we were told to grab a copy of any titles sitting on display and I took this one.

So, enjoy the novel, but no free coffee for you.

No comments: