Wednesday, February 04, 2009

The Bible, Templars, Reagan, An Idiot, MMA

NonFiction

Bible and the People by Lori Anne Ferrell. History of the printed Bible from hand-copied manuscripts to mass produced printing. "The story of what happened to ancient set of writings we call the Bible during those thousand years."

The Templars: the secret history revealed by Barbara Frale. "An explosive new history of the medieval world's most powerful military order." Wielding economic and military might behind a cloak of secrecy. Revealing the history of the trial of the Templars' leadership bu the Inquisition and their secret initiation ceremonies.

Tear Down This Myth: how the Reagan legacy has distorted our politics and haunts our future by Will Bunch. Bunch writes that today's politicians claim to carry Reagan's mantle "no matter preposterous the fit." Reagan's popularity while in office was never very high, his tax cuts did not fuel the economy, his "waste-ridden build-up" did not win the Cold War, ignore his willingness to speak to adversaries and desire to eliminate nukes, Bush I and Clinton's rollback of Reaganomics "spurred a decade of peace and prosperity."

Scratch Beginnings: me, $25, and the search for the American Dream by Adam Shepard. Recent college grad starts out with the clothes on his back and $25. After 12 months he plans to have $2500, a working car, and a furnished apartment.
This sounds like an interesting concept but the guy sounds like an arrogant dipstick.

Blood in the Cage: mixed martial arts, Pat Miletech, and the furious rise of the UFC by L. Jon Wertheim. Author decides to blow the lid off a brutal competition. Then, he finds out it is a real sport, with real athletes, and really interesting. Told with the tale of Pat Miletech who runs one of the most famous mixed martial arts training schools.
* The picture section contains lots of tattoos and cauliflower ear.
* We have a couple UFC fight DVDs if you want. UFC 67 and 68.

2 comments:

Adam said...

I would love for you to give me one example on how I am an arrogant dipstick. Really. Just one. I speak to whoever will listen about achievement and I gave away 4,000 copies of my book (on my own dime) to those that can't afford to buy it (or haven't necessarily had the same priveleges I've had in my life and can actually use the lessons in "Scratch Beginnings").

Read the book. Then pass judgement.

Anonymous said...

Well, for one thing, Adam, you misspelled judgement (unless you're a Brit). Not that I read the book either. I thought that Reagan was the idiot in the title, but I'm a treehugger.