Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Stack of Books on My Desk

Fiction

A Star for Mrs. Blake by April Smith.  Dang.  I don't think I ever heard about this, "The United States Congress in 1929 passed legislation to fund travel for mothers of the fallen soldiers of World War I to visit their sons' graves in France."

Mrs. Lincoln's Rival by Jennifer Chiaverini.  Daughter of Lincoln's Secretary of the Treasury was a political and social rival of Mary Todd Lincoln.

Delivering Death by Julie Kramer.  Kramer lives in White Bear Lake.  White Bear Lake is named from an Indian Romeo and Juliet style tale with an attacking white bear.  Rowr!

Pagan Lord by Bernard Cornwell.  Did Cornwall write another novel about Englishmen killing Frenchmen?  Let's take a look... Nope, he's still doing Vikings versus Englishmen.  I cannot tell if this is a new story or continues a series.  Read it and let me know.

Death Trade by Jack Higgins.  Higgins "lives on Jersey in the Channel Islands".  The summer's there look fantastic.


Standup Guy by Stuart Woods.  These are ghostwritten, right?  There is a new one every four months or so.

Andrew's Brain by E.L. Doctorow.  I did not like Homer & Langley but thought The Waterworks was fantastic.  I tried listening to The March but the audio file was corrupted and I did not finish the book.  Billy Bathgate was good.

The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton.  I kinda missed the boat on this one because the novel came out further back in 2013.  But, Catton won the 2013 Booker Prize. Catton is from New Zealand.  New Zealand is relatively small so maybe regular blog reader Dunedin has met her.

Hollow City: the second novel of Miss Peregrine's peculiar children by Ransom Riggs.  Ransom uses old photos, or photos made to look old, or photoshopped photos and incorporates them into his story.  I watched a program on BookTV once about how dead children were often photographed and posed for families' to have an image of the kid.  I just searched the BookTV website and could not find the dang program.

First Love by James Patterson and Emily Raymond.  Cover has a picture of two people standing in water and locking lips.  Patterson cranks out novels all the time but I give the guy big credit for naming his co-authors and not hiding them behind a curtain.

Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd.  According to a the sticker on teh cover this is part of "Oprah's Book Club 2.0".  Oh, yeah, Secret Life of Bees, I knew she wrote a big name novel. Kidd lives in Florida and has short hair.

No comments: