Tuesday, July 22, 2014

After A Long Delay: New Fiction, A-J

Fiction

Inside Man by Jeff Abbott.  Thriller by a guy who is not related to Megan Abbott.  But, if we were to argue, we could say everyone is related, couldn't we? Abbott and Abbott would be related.  I would be related to both Abbotts.  Is this familial relationship close enough that I would try to crash at their NYC or Austin pads and ask to borrow fifty bucks to go drink beer?  No, probably not.

Save the Date by Mary Kay Andrews.  Andrews lives in Atlanta.  I was listening to the car radio this morning and Wisconsin Public Radio was talking to Jeff Shaara about the Civil War.  He said people in Atlanta still don't like to talk about General Sherman.  Sore losers.

Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands by Chris Bohjalian.  Orphaned teen girl lives on her own in Vermont when her dead engineer father seen as responsible for a nuclear meltdown.

Shots Fired by C.J. Box.  Cover image is a road sign peppered with bullet holes. I was in the Kettle Moraine State Forest- Southern Unit a couple weeks to go walking with my kids.  After our walk I drive over to see where the public shooting range is.  Along they way I saw a road sign that some dope shot up.  Really?  You're one mile from a range and shoot a road sign?

High Druid's Blade Terry Brooks.  Swords.  Cloaks.  Wizards.  Etc.

Wayfaring Stranger by James Lee Burke.  Something about drama in post-World War II Texas and the oil business.

The Dead Will Tell by Linda Castillo.  Police Chief investigates murder disguised as suicide in house where Amish family was killed 35 years previous.

Power Play by Catherine Coulter.  The usual, I suppose.  I've never read a Coulter novel but she has a loyal following and sells a lot of books.  I think her author photo is the same.  I wonder if the photo budget included a hair and make-up person.  I wouldn't know the difference about the make-up but her hair looks sharp.

The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness. Her books do well here.  Something about witches and time travel.

Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey. Then look for her.

Sight Unseen by Iris and Joy Johansen.  Not to be confused with David Johansen.


No comments: