Saturday, December 20, 2014

Tyrants: an intimate history

DVD

The Maze Runner starring [teenagers]. Something about being lost in a killer maze.



The Roosevelts: an intimate history by Ken Burns.  14 hours of Roosevelts. Roosevelts, Roosevelts, Roosevelts. This is full of Roosevelts.




Poetry 

My Favorite Tyrants by Joanne Diaz.  Won the Brittingham Prize in Poetry. I don't know what the Brittingham is and I will research the prize. Back of the book says, "Diaz tries to understand what makes tyranny so compelling, even seductive.  These dynamic, funny, often poignant poems investigate the nature of tyranny in all of its forms - political, cultural, familial, and erotic." I tried touch typing that last section and had to back up and make multiple corrections. 

Diaz works at Illinois Wesleyan. I remember visiting there as a high school Junior. The admissions counselor mentioned how they have an early admission program and I thought, "Hey, cool." So I brought the application home, put it in the typewriter, got halfway through, got bored, and quit. Remind me later and I'll tell the story about Wartburg College. People always look at me weird when I tell that one.

No comments: