Monday, February 25, 2013

I've Actually Read Three of These Authors

Ones I've Read

Benediction by Kent Haruf.  He writes tales of rural life, old rancher dudes, and families with generational gaps.  This novel has a guy with terminal cancer, a new pastor in town, and other stuff.  The book is probably worth your time.

A Possible Life by Sebastian Faulks.  I read Faulks's Birdsong and liked it.  Birdsong was a World War One tale and well done.  I have the movie version at home on DVD but that thing is three hours long and I'm not sure I want to tackle it.

Suspect by Robert Crais.  Crais writes good thrillers and is best know for his series characters Elvis Cole and Joe Pike.  This is the PTSD one with a PTSD Police Officer and a PTSD Army dog teaming up to fight PTSD and bad guys.  I wonder if the dog dies in the end.

I've Never Read These People

Calculated in Death by J.D. Robb.  Does Nora Roberts farm these out to ghost writers?  Maybe she collaborates with ghost writers.  I write this because she really cranks them out.

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult.  Picoult has curly hair.

Bad Blood by Dana Stabenow.  I have a theory that Stabenow's whole career exists as a way to write off her trips to Alaska and all the National Parks as business expenses.

Red Velvet Cupcake Murder by Joanne Fluke.  Ugh.  Red velvet birthday cake.  That's what I got every year at school.  My mother would order one for me from through the Gustavus Adolphus cafeteria.  Not that the cake was bad but it's not to my taste.  Each year I'd eat some and put it in my dorm room mini-fridge where the cake would dry out.  I'd cut off the dried bit and eat the inside and finally throw away the husk.

The Unofficial Guide: Disneyland 2013 by Bob Sehlinger, Seth Kubersky and Len Testa.  Once again they neglected to hire Victor Gischler for this series.

No comments: